Saturday, January 14, 2006

60 to -10 in 24

Winter Weather Advisory
... Winter returns in dramatic fashion this afternoon... A strong low pressure system over southwest Pennsylvania this morning will move into western New England this afternoon. Cold air poised over the Great Lakes will blast into central New York and northeast Pennsylvania this afternoon... wiping out our extended stretch of unseasonably mild weather in just a few hours. The leading edge of cold air is expected to move into the central southern tier and Finger Lakes region early this afternoon... and exit the western Catskills and Poconos by late in the day. Windswill abruptly shift to the northwest and become strong and gusty with speeds increasing to 20 to 30 mph... gusting at times around 40mph. Temperatures will likely fall by 10 to 20 degrees in amatter of a few hours. This will cause any lingering rain to change over to snow. As temperatures continue to fall below freezing early this evening... wet roads may freeze up with a thin glaze of ice... potentially causing very hazardous travel. Strong winds will continue overnight with air temperatures falling further into the teens. Expect wind chill values early Sunday morning to range from zero to 10 below.

oh yes... only in NY. We were 60 degrees yesterday...
way out of the norm and today winter is going to return with a vengeance! This
time of year we are usually hip deep in snow and headed to our coldest time of
the winter. Which is usually somewhere a day or so either way of January
20th-ish. I had on shorts lastnight! I was burning up.... course a small
part of that could be the fact I have a nasty sinus infection going on and I
think the antibiotics the Dr put me on were having a major battle in my
system with the infection. lol The birds know the weather is going to change
as they are rushing and crowding at the feeders. There's even a few Nuthatch
at mine.. Usually they refer what Josie next door has in her feeder, but
they are at both feeders this morning.
Laters Dudes and Dudettes

4 Comments:

Blogger mrsgeno said...

LOL I really don't miss that weather at all...it was 78 here yesterday and about the same today...
we haven't turned the heat on yet :-)
open doors and window...boy I love this weather

6:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Your weather sounds like ours too Terri and I am deep down in the south. :) It was in the 60's yesterday and we had wind gusts up to 30 miles an hour and the temps were in the early 30's. Brrrr..sounds like winter is really here now. Stay warm!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weather is bizarre, isn't it? We got in one last night of skiing last night before the rain came. Thanks for the nice comment, Terri. Now I need to dig up all my old photos (from two computers ago) so all my knits can reside in one place. I figured with as much time as I spent knitting, the least I could do was take notes!

Kerstin
whoopsy daisy!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Well you know what I have to say to you Teresa! >>>> (splat) <<<< I'll get you with a snowball somehow!
Amanda - This is just too strange. Sherm got me a snowblower for Christmas and I haven't used it yet. Other years I would have use it several times a day by now. I want snow! I want t play with my new toy LOL (yes, I'm a sick woman!)
Kerstin- thanks for stopping by. Sorry I don't have any knitting up to share... I haven't felt to much like knitting with the warmer weather and somehow after the puppy ate socks I was working on for Amanda I've kinda taken a break. I am working on some spinning though. Guess I should post a pic of my latest.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home